Tuesday, July 18, 2017

When the Student is Ready the Teacher Will Appear...

I consider myself adventurous. 
Belly dance was always on my bucket list, though I never sought it out.  So 18 months ago when a woman at my church (Erica Chappuis) with a beautiful aura and alluring personality said she was teaching it...for free, I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt I was going to carve out some me time and learn everything I could. 

After trying gymnastics when I was much younger, ice skating for college PE credits, and studying yoga when my oldest was in preschool, I felt reasonably confident about my strength, flexibility and coordination. The week prior, I remember looking at the words “belly dance class” on my calendar with the enthusiasm of a girls night out. However in the hours leading up to class when I dug around for some yoga pants and a breezy top, something hit me. I didn't feel good about my body. This kind of dance is beautiful and instead of feeling beautiful I felt very self-conscious, almost to the point of talking myself out of going.

I decided to get into a hot bubble bath, to prepare myself. Slowly, the beauty ritual ensued. I shaved my legs, pumiced my feet and relaxed for a bit before moisturizing and anointing myself with essential oils.

Class was held in the fellowship hall at my church which was a familiar and comforting place for me. When I arrived at class, there was a beautiful scent of exotic perfume, music from far away places, a plethora of sparkly, jingly things to adorn ourselves with, and a second teacher Shannon Seidelman. I found my place in line with the other students and the dance began. Slowly and carefully, piece by delicate piece, we learned how to stand, move our hands, circle our hips, and shimmy. We all tried new things, mastered some of them, giggled, felt silly and young and beautiful all at the same time.

We met every Wednesday as women sharing a sacred oral tradition. Our masterful instructors taught us different techniques. Infused between the sounds and movements were words of grace, beauty, acceptance, humor and love. Words that heal, and relax the tight places in our minds. Over the course of weeks and months I did more than just learn moves and technique, I fell in love over and over with the beauty of the dance, the drum, melody and myself.  I began to feel more moments of freedom.

Shannon and Erica asked me to dance with them at an art fair this past weekend.  I was prepared to say no. My excuses were all lined up.  I had too much on my plate, I was behind on deadlines for volunteer projects, my house was a disaster, I shouldn't really take the time to put together a routine... And then I realized each excuse was something I was doing for someone else.  I was doing very little to fill myself up.  Here is the exact text I sent Shannon.

I would love to dance with you at the street fair and I'm terrified. I have a million reasons why I can't and feel like I need to do this for me.  Cuz so many things eat away at me and leave me stressed and dancing makes me happy. I just wasn't ready to share that with others. I have music that I like but nothing to wear. Can you help me?”

To which she was thrilled. Over the next 2 weeks, with help, I managed to pull together pieces, songs and choreography.  We danced for 2 hours on a warm beautiful day in front of friends and passers by.  I am so thankful that I did!
Thanks for reading 
~*Peace*~





1 comment:

  1. I see triumph, confidence and spirit in your face. Now I'm not sure about the strength and cadence of your hips but if pictures capture the truth...you're a natural!

    ReplyDelete